Discover the natural solution to cryopreservation
Osmolyte-based Cryopreservation Technology
SAFE AND NATURALLY-OCCURING
Osmolytes are safe naturally-occurring sugars, sugar alcohols and amino acids
Organic compounds that work together to stabilize and protect the integrity of cells during cryopreservation
OPTIMIZED FOR EACH CELL
Proprietary algorithm optimizes cryoprotectant formulation to support different cell types
DMSO damages cells, causes high cell losses during manufacturing, and is harmful to patients.
- Patients infused with cell therapeutics that contain DMSO experience adverse reactions from nausea to cardiac toxicity.
- Cell exposure to DMSO for extended periods of time during manufacturing results in significant cell loss.
- Immune cell therapeutic efficacy is reduced post thawing.
- Kollerup Madsen B et al. Adverse reactions of dimethyl sulfoxide in humans: a systematic review. F1000Res. 2018 Nov 5;7:1746.
- Maral S et al. Dimethyl Sulfoxide-Induced Tonic-Clonic Seizure and Cardiac Arrest During Infusion of Autologous Peripheral Blood Stem Cells. Cell Tissue Bank. 2018 Dec;19(4):831-832.
- Heneghan C et al. Safety of hematopoietic cell infusion in children with malignant and non-malignant diseases. Pediatr Transplant. 2017 Nov;21(7).
- Zenhäusern R et al. Fatal cardiac arrhythmia after infusion of dimethyl sulfoxide-cryopreserved hematopoietic stem cells in a patient with severe primary cardiac amyloidosis and end-stage renal failure. Ann Hematol. 2000 Sep;79(9):523-6.
- Li R et al. Preservation of cell-based immunotherapies for clinical trials. Cytotherapy. 2019 Sep;21(9):943-957.
- Lapteva N et al. Clinical grade purification and expansion of natural killer cells. Crit Rev Oncog. 2014;19(1-2):121-32.
How do trees survive Minnesota winters?
The answer to that question helped us develop a novel strategy of preserving cells.
DISRUPTIVE CRYOPRESERVATION TECHNOLOGY
After 30 years of sub-standard one-size-fits-all cryopreservation technology, the industry is about to change.
Evia Bio’s DMSO-free cryopreservation technology enables the entire cell therapy supply chain.
Generally Regarded As Safe, GRAS components
>85% recovery and viability with iPSCs, MSCs, sensory neurons, and T-cells
Superior function, >99% signaling with iPSC derived sensory neurons
No washing required, time and process flexibility and efficiency in manufacturing
- Hubel, A. Impact of freeze-thaw processes on the quality of cells. BioInsights. 12, 2017. 807-813.
- Pi, C et al. Characterizing the “sweet spot” for the preservation of a T-cell line using osmolytes. Scientific Reports. 2018, 8. 1-13.
- Pi, C et al. Understanding the freezing responses of T cells and other subsets of human peripheral blood mononuclear cells using DMSO-free cryoprotectants. Cytotherapy. 2020. 1-10.
iPSC – Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells
MSC – Mesenchymal Stromal Cells
- Pollock, K et al. Improved Post-Thaw Function and Epigenetic Changes in Mesenchymal Stromal Cells Cryopreserved Using Multicomponent Osmolyte Solutions. Stem Cells and Development. 2017. 1-15.
- Pollock, K et al. Algorithm-driven optimization of cryopreservation protocols for transfusion model cell types including Jurkat cells and mesenchymal stem cells. Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine. 2016. 1-10.
- Pollock, K et al. Combinations of Osmolytes, Including Monosaccharides, Disaccharides, and Sugar Alcohols Act in Concert During Cryopreservation to Improve Mesenchymal Stromal Cell Survival. Tissue Engineering & Regenerative Medicine International Society. 2016. 1-10.
- Hornberger, K et al. Cryopreservations of Hematopoietic Stem Cells: Emerging Assays, Cryoprotectant Agents, and Technology to Improve Outcomes. Transfusion Medicine and Hemotherapy. 2019, 188-196.
- Li, R et al. Preservation of cell-based immunotherapies for clinical trials. Cytotherapy. 2019; 21. 943-957.
- Yu, G and Hubel, A. The Role of Preservation in the Variability of Regenerative Medicine Products. Regenerative Engineering and Translational Medicine. 2019. 1-9
Get the latest cryopreservation news, CryoChats™ info, and all the updates.